Fresh herbs--oregano, chives and a cup of basil--pack garden-fresh flavor into the eggplant and tomato sauce. Served over pasta and topped with ricotta cheese, the saucy mixture becomes a satisfying vegetarian dinner.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds eggplant, ends trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 medium onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 3 garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 28 ounce can diced tomatoes in juice
- 1 pound rotini pasta
- 1 cup packed basil, torn into pieces
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, chopped
- 3 tablespoons snipped chives
- 6 tablespoons part-skim ricotta cheese
1. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add eggplant, onion, garlic and 1/2 teaspoon of the salt. Cook 8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until eggplant softens.
2. Add red pepper flakes, tomatoes with juice and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. Bring to a simmer. Lower heat to medium-low; cook for 10 minutes or until eggplant is very soft.
3. While sauce is simmering, cook pasta following package directions. Drain.
4. Stir most of the basil, oregano and chives into the sauce; toss with pasta. Serve with dollops of ricotta cheese and the reserved herbs on top.