Turn the classic pasta dish into a low-fat recipe by using turkey bacon and fat-free half-and-half. Asparagus is a flavorful and healthy addition.
- 3/4 pound gemelli pasta
- 1 pound asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 12 slices turkey bacon (6 ounces), cut crosswise into thin strips
- 1 1/4 cups fat-free half-and-half
- 3 yolks
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
1. Cook pasta in lightly salted water following package directions. Add asparagus to pasta water for last 4 minutes of cooking time. Drain and keep warm.
2. While pasta is cooking, place bacon in a medium-size nonstick skillet and cook over medium-high heat about 8 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until slightly browned and crisp. Remove from pan with a slotted spoon and drain on a paper towel-lined plate.
3. In a small saucepan, whisk half-and-half and egg yolks. Cook over medium heat about 8 minutes, whisking constantly, until temperature reaches 160 degree F on an instant-read thermometer. Stir in basil, salt, pepper and nutmeg.
4. Add bacon to cooked pasta and asparagus. Stir in creamy egg mixture. Stir in 1/3 cup of the Parmesan cheese.
5. Spoon pasta into a serving bowl and sprinkle remaining 1 tablespoon Parmesan on top. Serve immediately.