Classic Pesto Sauce
- 2 cups packed basil leaves, rinsed
- 2 large cloves garlic, peeled
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
1. Process basil, garlic and pine nuts in work bowl of a food processor until finely chopped. With processor running, slowly add oil through top of processor. Process for 1 minute until smooth.
2. Remove to non-reactive storage container and stir in Parmesan cheese and salt. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.Ligurian-Style Linguine:
3. Prepare Classic Pesto Sauce. Boil 1 pound linguine until firm but tender, following package directions, adding in 3/4 pound green beans, cut into 1-inch pieces, during last 6 minutes of cooking. Drain, reserving 1 cup of cooking water. Place pasta back into pot. While pasta is cooking, simmer 1-1/4 pounds potatoes, peeled and cut in 1/2-inch cubes, in lightly salted water for 10 minutes or until tender. Drain. Gently stir potatoes into pasta and green beans. Add 3/4 cup Pesto and reserved cooking water. Gently stir to coat. Sprinkle 6 tablespoons grated Parmesan over the top. Garnish with basil. Pass extra Pesto, if desired. Makes 6 servings. Nutrient Value Per Serving: 629 calories, 26 g fat (6 g saturated), 20 g protein, 80 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 578 mg sodium, 11 mg cholesterol.Basil-Topped Swordfish:
4. Prepare Classic Pesto Sauce. Spoon 1 tablespoon Pesto over each of 6 swordfish steaks, 1 inch thick, 6 ounces each. Bake in 450 degrees F oven for 12 to 15 minutes until fish is cooked through. Meanwhile, cook 1 pound each green and yellow wax beans, trimmed, in boiling salted water for 7 minutes until crisp-tender. Drain and mix with 4 tablespoons of pesto. Toss with 6 tablespoons Parmesan cheese. Serve with fish. Makes 6 servings. Nutrient Value Per Serving: 567 calories, 34 g fat (8 g saturated), 54 g protein, 13 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 768 mg sodium, 97 mg cholesterol.