Classic Meat Lasagna
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 1/4 pounds ground meat loaf mix (beef, pork and veal)
- 1 can (28-1/2 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 5 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 12 traditional lasagna noodles (from a 16-ounce package)
- 1 container (15 ounces) ricotta cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 cups shredded Italian cheese blend
1. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2. Crumble in ground meat and cook for an additional 8 minutes, breaking up with a wooden spoon. Add tomatoes, tomato paste, Italian seasoning, sugar, salt and black pepper. Simmer with cover slightly ajar for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Uncover and simmer for 15 additional minutes. Stir in 3 tablespoons of the basil.
3. Meanwhile, cook lasagna noodles following package directions. Drain and rinse briefly under cold water. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
4. In a medium-size bowl, combine the ricotta cheese, eggs, Parmesan cheese and remaining 2 tablespoons of basil. Set aside.
5. Spread 1 cup of sauce over the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Place 3 cooked noodles over the sauce. Evenly spoon the ricotta mixture over the noodles. Top with 3 more noodles and 3 cups of the meat sauce. Layer 3 noodles over sauce, then sprinkle on shredded mozzarella. Top with the 3 remaining noodles and 2 cups of the meat sauce.
6. Sprinkle shredded Italian cheese blend evenly over the last meat sauce layer and loosely cover with foil. Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake for 30 additional minutes, until bubbly.
7. Cool 10 minutes before serving. Reheat extra sauce and serve on the side.