Always a family favorite for breakfast, this quick and easy recipe makes delicious pancakes every time.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- Butter, maple or pancake syrup, confectioners' sugar, for serving
1. Heat a griddle or large pan to medium heat. Heat oven to warm (180 degrees F) and place a foil-lined baking sheet inside.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, salt and allspice. Separate eggs and whisk egg yolks in small bowl with milk and oil.
3. With an electric mixer, beat egg whites to stiff peaks, about 1 minute. Stir milk mixture into flour mixture just until combined. Fold in egg whites in two additions, until no white streaks remain.
4. Using a ladle, drop 1/4 to 1/3 cup batter onto heated griddle. Repeat, spacing at least 1 inch apart. Cook 1 minute, or until bubbles in batter pop and remain open. Carefully flip pancakes and cook an additional 30 seconds to 1 minute.
5. Transfer to baking sheet in warm oven; repeat with remaining batter. Serve warm with butter and syrup or confectioners' sugar, if desired.