Pair a hint of fresh orange flavor with a crunchy, sugary top for a phenomenal morning pick-me-up. Add this quick and easy recipe to your brunch menu.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup plus 5 teaspoons sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
1. Heat oven to 375 degrees . Coat a standard-size muffin pan with nonstick cooking spray.
2. In large bowl, whisk flour, 3/4 cup of the sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Make a well in the center (step A, page 180).
3. In small bowl, whisk together milk, eggs, oil and orange zest (step A, below). Pour milk mixture into well in flour mixture, then stir just until combined. Fold in blueberries (step B).
4. Spoon batter into prepared muffin pan, 1/3 cup batter in each cup (step C). Each muffin cup should be about 3/4 full. Fill the two empty muffin cups with water, so muffins bake evenly.
5. Sprinkle each muffin with 1/2 teaspoon sugar. Bake muffins at 375 degrees for 23 to 25 minutes, until crowned and lightly brown. Remove from pan and cool on wire rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- To finely grate orange zest, we recommend a Microplane zester. This utensiloriginally designed to mimic a woodworking tooldoes the best job separating flavorful rind from bitter pith.
- Gently fold berries into batter, taking care not to crush the fragile fruit.
- Pour a scant 1/3 cup batter into each prepared muffin cup, dividing equally.