- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1 1/2 cups arborio rice
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 3 cups no-salt-added chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 fully-cooked turkey or chicken sausage links, sliced 1/4-inch thick (6 ounces total)
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and reduce the heat to medium-low; cook until soft but not brown, about 5 minutes. Stir in the rice and cook and stir until the outside of the grains are translucent, 3 to 5 minutes.
2. Coat the inside of a 4-quart slow cooker with cooking spray. Add the rice mixture, broth, and salt; stir to combine. Cover; cook on high-heat setting for 1 hour, 15 minutes.
3. Just before the rice is done, using the same skillet, cook the sausage over medium heat until browned, 2 to 3 minutes.
4. Stir the sausage, peas, Parmesan, butter, and pepper into the rice mixture. Turn off cooker; let mixture stand, covered, for 10 minutes. Stir before serving. Top with additional Parmesan, if desired.