Lemony Lentil Soup
- 3 carrots, chopped (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- dash crushed red pepper (optional)
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 2 cups dried red lentils (12 ounces), rinsed
- 4 1/2 cups vegetable both
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon finely shredded lemon peel
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
1. Place the carrots, onion, garlic, and crushed red pepper, if desired, in a medium microwave-safe bowl. Add 2 tablespoons water and cover bowl with waxed paper. Microwave on 100% power for 4 minutes.
2. Coat the inside of a 4-quart slow cooker with cooking spray. Add the onion mixture, lentils, broth, and salt to cooker; stir to combine. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 5 1/2 hours.
3. Stir in the oregano, rosemary, lemon peel, lemon juice, and pepper to taste.