Ginger Poached Rhubarb Oatmeal
- 2 cups water
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 2 inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and cut into 5 pieces
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 3 cups chopped fresh rhubarb or 1 16-ounce package frozen cut rhubarb, thawed
- 3 1/4 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups regular rolled oats
- Brown sugar
Make ItMake It:
1. In a large skillet combine the 2 cups water, sugar, ginger, and vanilla. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Add half of the rhubarb. Cover and simmer 2 to 2 1/2 minutes or until tender. Using a slotted spoon, remove the cooked rhubarb and set aside, leaving ginger pieces in the skillet. Repeat with remaining rhubarb. Remove ginger pieces from cooking liquid. If desired, place liquid in an airtight container and chill up to 1 week. Add sparkling water for a homemade soda.
2. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan bring 3 1/4 cups water and salt to boiling. Stir in oats. Cook, uncovered, for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. To serve, stir rhubarb into cooked oatmeal. Top each serving with brown sugar.