Falafel Balls with Lemon-Yogurt Dip
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 15 ounce can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/3 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup tahini (sesame seed paste)
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 teaspoon agave nectar
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon zest
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Grease an 8x8x2-inch baking pan with the olive oil; set aside.
2. Place the chickpeas in a large bowl. Mash them well with a potato masher or a fork. Stir in the egg, breadcrumbs, cilantro, garlic, tahini, lemon juice, cumin, and salt. Form into 12 1 1/2-inch balls, and place them snugly into the prepared pan in rows, making sure the balls are touching. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until the balls are cooked through (160 degrees F). Let rest in the pan for five minutes before serving.
3. In a small bowl stir together the yogurt, agave nectar, and lemon zest. Serve with the falafel balls.