This bread, cheese, and onion recipe bakes to a golden brown and is a quick and easy meatless one-dish meal.
1. Whisk together eggs, milk and nutmeg in large bowl. Add bread cubes. Let mixture stand 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2. Heat oil in large nonstick skillet. Add onion, sugar, salt and pepper; cook over medium-low heat until onion is very tender, 15 minutes.
3. Heat oven to 350 degrees . Coat 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
4. Spoon half of bread mixture into baking dish. Top with half of onion mixture. Repeat with the remaining bread and onion. Sprinkle with cheese.
5. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until puffed and golden. Let cool slightly before serving.