Berry Twist Bread
The shape for this yeast bread is made by rolling the dough into squares and topping it with raspberry jam and almonds. The dough is then rolled up, cut lengthwise in half, and the two strips are twisted together.
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (105 degrees F to 115 degrees F)
- 2 eggs
- 3 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup seedless raspberry jam
- 2 tablespoons blanched slivered almonds, coarsely chopped
- 1 egg white
1. Heat milk, sugar, butter and salt in small saucepan just until bubbles start to appear around edge of pan. Let cool 30 minutes.
2. Sprinkle yeast over the warm water in large bowl; stir to dissolve. Add milk mixture, eggs, 1-1/4 cups flour. Beat 3 minutes on medium-low until smooth, scraping down side of bowl. With wooden spoon, stir in about 3 cups flour to form dough.
3. Turn dough out onto floured surface. Knead dough until smooth and elastic, 3 to 5 minutes, adding more flour as needed to prevent sticking. Place dough in large oiled bowl, turning to coat. Cover with lightly oiled piece of waxed paper. Let rise in warm place, away from drafts, until doubled, 1 hour.
4. Punch dough down. Put on floured surface; cover; let rest 15 minutes.
5. Lightly coat 18 x 13-inch baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.Filling:
6. Roll dough into 14-inch square. Brush with jam, leaving 1/2-inch border. Sprinkle with almonds.
7. Beginning with one edge, roll dough up, jelly-roll style. Carefully transfer to prepared baking sheet, seam side down; reshape into 14-inch roll. Cut roll in half lengthwise. With cut sides facing up, and beginning in middle and working to one end, loosely cross strips back and forth, keeping cut sides up as much as possible; pinch ends to seal. Repeat with other half of loaf. Cover with lightly oiled piece of waxed paper. Let rise in warm place, away from drafts, until doubled, 30 to 45 minutes.
8. To bake, heat oven to 350 degrees F.Glaze:
9. Lightly beat egg white in small bowl. Brush over top of bread.
10. Bake in 350 degrees F oven 30 to 35 minutes or until lightly golden and loaf sounds hollow when lightly tapped on bottom (if bread starts to get too dark, cover loosely with foil). Remove to wire rack to cool completely.