Crushed granola gives this banana walnut bread recipe a flavorful, crunchy topping.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup light-brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 2 large ripe bananas, mashed (1 cup)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 3/4 cup low-fat granola (without raisins), lightly crushed
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat 3, 5-3/4 x 3 x 2-1/8-inch loaf pans with nonstick cooking spray.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients; set aside. In a medium-size bowl, combine the eggs, light-brown sugar and melted butter. Whisk until smooth. Add mashed banana and vanilla. Pour banana mixture into well in dry ingredients; stir just until moist. Stir in chopped walnuts.
3. Divide batter evenly among the prepared pans. Sprinkle crushed granola over all pans, dividing evenly.
4. Bake the loaves at 350 degrees F for 30 to 33 minutes or until set, and golden around the edges. Let the loaves cool in the pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Transfer directly to rack; serve warm, if desired.
- This batter may also be prepared as 12 standard-size muffins. Reduce baking time to 25 minutes.