Reindeer Gingerbread Cremes
Gingerbread cookies are shaped like reindeer and filled with frosting to make a holiday dessert that Santa would love.
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon allspice
- White round sprinkles
- Royal icing (recipe follows)
- Red food coloring
- 1 cup cream-cheese or vanilla frosting
1. In large bowl, with mixer on medium-high, beat butter and sugar until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add molasses and water; beat well. Reduce mixer speed to low, and beat in dry ingredients until combined. Shape dough into disk. Cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate 1 hour.
2. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease baking sheet. Roll dough to 1/8-inch thickness on floured surface. Using small reindeer shaped cookie cutter, cut out as many cookies as possible. Carefully transfer half of cookies to baking sheet, 1 inch apart. Bake 10 minutes, or until golden. Cool 1 minute; transfer 1/2 cup royal icing to resealable plastic bag. Snip small corner off bag. Pipe line for antlers on un-cooked cookies. Top icing with sprinkles. Dampen each reindeer's back with water, and place sprinkles on moistened area. Bake 10 minutes. Cool 1 minute, transfer cookies to wire rack, and cool completely.To decorate:
3. Tint 1/2 cup royal icing with red food coloring, and transfer to resealable plastic bag. Snip small corner off bag. Pipe wavy red line across reindeer, and add small dot for the nose. Using black tube icing, pipe eyes on reindeer.
4. Spread cream-cheese frosting onto plain baked cookies. Top each cookie with decorated one.
- To make sprinkles stick to cookies, pipe icing onto unbaked cookies, top with sprinkles and bake as directed.
- 3 tablespoons meringue powder or powdered egg whites
- 4 cups (1-pound box) confectioners sugar, sifted
- 6 tablespoons water
1. Beat meringue powder, confectioners sugar, and water in bowl until peaks form, 10 minutes (makes 3 cups; repeat recipe if necessary). Divide icing in half. Base coat: Thin half of icing with water, a drop at a time, until consistency of honey. Use thicker half for piping.