Place Your Bats
Sugar cookie dough is rolled out and cut into bat shapes for this Halloween treat. A dip in chocolate gives these critters their spooky, dark appearance.
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 8 ounces semisweet chocolate, melted
- Orange sprinkles
- Candy eyes (available at craft stores)
1. Beat sugar and butter in an electric mixer on high speed until light and fluffy. Beat in egg, light corn syrup, and vanilla extract. Gradually mix in flour until fully blended. Divide dough into 2 flattened balls; wrap in plastic and refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour.
2. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Roll out each ball of dough between 2 sheets of wax paper until it's 1/8-inch thick. Remove top piece of wax paper and flip dough onto 2 baking sheets. Cut with a 3-inch bat-shaped cookie cutter, then remove and reroll scraps. Bake cookies for 8 to 10 minutes, or until golden brown. Place on a wire rack and let cool completely.To decorate:
3. Dunk one side of cookie into melted chocolate, then dip bottom edge into orange sprinkles. Add candy eyes and let dry completely.