Apricot preserves fill the center of these adorable cutouts, which start with sugar cookie dough flavored with peanut butter. Add these treats to your holiday baking list.
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Place peanuts in a food processor. Pulse until finely chopped. Add cookie dough, flour and peanut butter. Pulse until dough is well combined, and cleans the inside of the bowl.
3. Divide dough into 2 equal parts. Wrap one part in plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to use. Roll the other half between two sheets of parchment or waxed paper to a thickness of 1/4 inch. Place on ungreased baking sheet; freeze for 5 minutes.
4. Remove from freezer and peel off paper. Cut out star shapes with a 3 inch star cutter and place back on the baking sheet. Re-roll scraps and cut out more stars for a total of 18. If dough becomes too soft, place back in freezer for a few minutes. Bake for 11 minutes at 350 degrees F. Allow to cool on baking sheet for 2 minutes. Remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
5. Roll out the remaining dough and cut out 18 stars as in steps 3 and 4. After placing on baking sheet, cut out center with a 1-inch star cutter. Bake and cool.
6. Microwave the apricot preserves for 30 seconds. Stir until smooth. Spread 1 teaspoon of the preserves onto one side of each of the uncut cookies. Dust the cut-out cookies with the confectioners' sugar and place on preserve-topped cookies to form a sandwich. Press gently.