Classic Meatball Sub
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup soft whole wheat bread crumbs
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh Italian (flat-leaf) parsley
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 28 ounce can no-salt-added crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 8 2 - 3 ounces individual sub or hoagie rolls, split
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (2 ounces)
1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Line a 13x9x2-inch baking pan foil; brush the foil with the 1 tablespoon olive oil; set aside.
2. In a large bowl combine the meatball ingredients. Shape the mixture into 24 1 1/2-inch balls and place them snugly into the prepared pan in rows, making sure the balls are touching. Bake until the meatballs are done (160 degrees F), about 20 minutes.
3. While the meatballs are in the oven, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion, reduce the heat to medium-low and saute until soft, about 8 minutes. Add the garlic and saute 2 minutes.
4. Add the crushed tomatoes, basil, and pepper. Bring to boiling. Add the meatballs and simmer, covered, for 5 minutes, stirring gently occasionally.
5. Spoon meatball mixture into buns. Sprinkle each with 1 tablespoon mozzarella.