Slow-Cooker Chicken with Cashews
If you have a craving for Asian food, why not turn to the slow cooker instead of your wok? This recipe brings together chunks of chicken, carrots, snow peas, pineapple, and cashews in a ginger-flavored soy sauce.
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 2 cups baby carrots
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 4 tablespoons ginger-flavored soy sauce (such as House of Tsang) or regular low-sodium soy sauce
- 8 ounces snow peas, trimmed
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) pineapple tidbits, drained, and 2 tablespoons juice reserved
- 1 sweet red pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup roasted cashews
- 3 cups cooked brown rice (optional)
1. Stir together chicken, carrots, broth and 2 tablespoons soy sauce in slow cooker bowl. Cover and cook for 3 hours on HIGH or 5 hours on LOW.
2. Remove cover and stir in snow peas, pineapple and red pepper and cook an additional 20 minutes.
3. In small bowl, stir together remaining 2 tablespoons soy sauce, 2 tablespoons pineapple juice and cornstarch. Stir into liquid in slow cooker bowl. Stir in cashews and cook an additional 10 minutes or until liquid has thickened. Serve over rice, if desired.