Slow-Cooker Chicken Cacciatore
The convenience of the slow cooker makes this Italian chicken and vegetable recipe the perfect weeknight meal.
- 1 package chicken pieces (about 4-1/2 pounds), skin removed, trimmed of excess fat
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups thinly sliced mushrooms
- 1 large green pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups canned diced tomatoes, drained
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
1. Pat chicken dry with paper towels. Place flour on a plate. Coat chicken in flour, shaking off excess. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Cook chicken for 12 minutes or until browned, turning halfway.
2. Remove chicken from skillet and place in slow cooker bowl. Place mushrooms in skillet; cook over medium-high heat for 6 minutes.
3. Place mushrooms in slow cooker, and add green pepper, onion, carrot, tomatoes, wine and Italian seasoning. Cook on HIGH for 3-1/2 hours or LOW for 5 hours. Stir in basil, pepper and salt and serve immediately.