Healthy Arroz Con Pollo
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken, about 5 pounds (giblets removed), cut into 8 pieces (save wings for another use)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 cup white rice, uncooked
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 packet (from 1.41-ounce box) Goya Sazon with Azafran seasoning
- 1 box (10 ounces) frozen green peas, thawed
1. Remove skin from chicken and discard. Season pieces with 1/4 teaspoon of the salt and 1/8 teaspoon of the pepper. Toss in flour to coat.
2. Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large covered saute pan over medium-high heat. Brown half of the chicken pieces, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Add another tablespoon oil and repeat with remaining chicken.
3. Reduce heat to medium and add remaining tablespoon oil and the onion to pan. Cook 3 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute. Stir in rice. Add broth, seasoning packet, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and remaining 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil.
4. Stir in peas and return chicken to pan along with any accumulated juices. Cover and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook 20 to 25 minutes or until rice is tender. Let stand 5 minutes, covered, before serving.
Servings Per Recipe: 8; Amount Per Serving: cal.(kcal): 351, Fat, total(g): 10, chol.(mg): 95, sat. fat(g): 2, carb.(g): 30, fiber(g): 2, pro.(g): 34, sodium(mg): 576, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.