Golden Chicken Chili
- 2 cups Great Northern dried beans
- 3 cups boiling water
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 pickled jalapeno peppers, seeded, deribbed and chopped (see Note)
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground chili powder
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinned chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 pound summer squash
- 1 can (15 ounces) hominy OR: corn, drained
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream, plus more for garnish
- 2 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro leaves, plus leaves for garnish
- 2 plum tomatoes, chopped
1. Combine beans and boiling water in slow-cooker. Let stand while preparing other ingredients.
2. Add onion, garlic, jalapeno, cumin and chili powder to pot. Place chicken on top. Quarter squash lengthwise; seed. Cut crosswise into 3/4-inch pieces. Add to pot.
3. Cover and cook on low heat for 7 hours or until beans are tender. Stir in hominy, sour cream, salt, lime juice and chopped cilantro.
4. Spoon into bowls. Garnish with sour cream, chopped tomato and cilantro leaves.Conventional Cooking Method:
5. Soak beans overnight; rinse and drain. Cook according to package directions; reserve 1 cup cooking liquid; drain beans. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in Dutch oven. Add onion; cook, covered, 10 minutes. Stir in garlic, jalapeno, cumin, chili powder, squash, hominy, beans. Add 1 cup bean liquid. Simmer, covered, 12 minutes. Stir in chicken; cook 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in salt, sour cream, lime juice, cilantro.