Chicken Fajita Pitas
Refried beans, chicken, and vegetables are layered on a pita and topped with tomatoes and cheese in this variation of the popular Tex-Mex main-dish recipe.
- 4 large whole-wheat pitas
- 1 can (15 ounces) fat-free refried beans
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 sweet pepper, sliced
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2 x 3-inch strips
- 1 tablespoon fajita seasoning
- 1 tomato, sliced
- 1 cup low-fat shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded iceberg lettuce
- 1/2 cup fat-free sour cream
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Cut pitas in half horizontally. On each pita half, spread 3 heaping tablespoons refried beans. Place pitas on 2 baking sheets; cover with aluminum foil. Place in the oven for 15 minutes.
2. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and pepper to skillet; cook for 5 minutes. Stir chicken and fajita seasoning into skillet. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring, until chicken is cooked through.
3. Spoon 1/2 cup chicken mixture onto pitas. Top with 2 slices of tomato; sprinkle with 2 tablespoons cheese. Serve with lettuce and sour cream on the side.