Servings: 8 Prep 15 mins Cook 35 mins
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken, about 5 pounds (giblets removed), cut into 8 pieces (save wings for another use)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 package (10 ounces) white mushrooms, cleaned and quartered
- 2 small green bell peppers, seeded and diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 2 cans (14 ounces each) diced tomatoes with basil, garlic and oregano
- 1/2 cup red wine or water
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 pound whole-wheat spaghetti, cooked
1. Remove skin from chicken and discard. Season chicken with salt.
2. Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large, deep covered saute pan over medium-high heat. Add chicken and brown, meaty-side down, 3 minutes. Turn chicken over and continue to cook 1 minute. Remove to plate.
3. Reduce heat to medium. Add remaining tablespoon oil to pan and add mushrooms, green peppers and onion. Cook, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes until softened. Add garlic and cook 1 more minute. Stir in tomatoes, wine or water, rosemary and red pepper flakes. Bring to a simmer. Add chicken, cover and simmer 15 minutes. Uncover and continue to cook 10 minutes, until chicken is cooked through and tender. Serve over whole-wheat spaghetti.
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe: 8; Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 437, Fat, total (g): 9, chol. (mg): 95, sat. fat (g): 2, carb. (g): 50, fiber (g): 9, pro. (g): 39, sodium (mg): 418, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.