Chicken Breasts with Roasted Peppers & Greens
Fresh basil, capers, and olives give this chicken recipe the zesty fresh flavors of Mediterranean cooking. For a colorful presentation, the chicken breasts are served on a bed of fresh greens and roasted peppers and onions.
- 2 sweet red peppers, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 1 yellow pepper, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 1 red onion, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup capers, rinsed and chopped
- 1/3 cup finely chopped pitted kalamata olives
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (1-1/2 pounds total)
- 4 cups mixed baby greens
1. Heat broiler.
2. In a bowl, toss peppers and onion with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Coat broiler pan with nonstick cooking spray; broil peppers and onion for 10 minutes or until lightly charred, stirring every 3 minutes.
3. Remove from oven and place peppers and onions in a medium-size nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add capers, 1 tablespoon of the chopped olives, red wine vinegar and 1 teaspoon of the olive oil. Heat 1 to 2 minutes, remove and stir in basil, parsley, 1/4 teaspoon each of the salt and pepper. Place in a bowl and set aside.
4. Sprinkle chicken with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper.
5. Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add chicken; cook 7 to 8 minutes per side or until browned and internal temperature of chicken registers 160 degrees F on an instant-read thermometer.
6. Remove chicken from skillet and cool for 5 minutes. Spread each breast with a heaping tablespoon of remaining chopped olives. Slice chicken across the grain into 1/2-inch slices; set aside.
7. To serve, place 1 cup greens on a plate and top with the pepper mixture. Place a sliced chicken breast on top and drizzle any remaining juice from the pepper mixture over it.