Asian Chicken Slaw
This warm main dish salad provides a healthy helping of antioxidant-rich fruits and vegetables--oranges, napa cabbage, green cabbage, and sugar snap peas.
- 1 cup low-calorie sesame-ginger salad dressing
- 1 pound chicken tenderloins or boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1 14 1/2 ounce can Mandarin oranges
- 1 small head napa cabbage, sliced
- 1/2 pound sugar snap peas, sliced
- 1 cup fresh basil, cut into thin strips
- 3 scallions, trimmed and chopped
- 1 16 ounce bag cole slaw mix
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1. Combine 1/2 cup of the dressing with the chicken in a large resealable plastic bag. Let stand for 20 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, toast almonds in a 10-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat for 5 minutes, stirring often. Remove to a small bowl.
3. Coat same nonstick skillet with nonstick cooking spray. Remove chicken from marinade; add to skillet. Cook over medium-high heat for 7 minutes, turning, until cooked through. Cut into bite-size pieces.
4. Drain Mandarin oranges, reserving 1/4 cup juice. Whisk juice into remaining 1/2 cup salad dressing. In large salad bowl, toss cabbage, sugar snap peas, basil, scallions, cole slaw mix, salt, pepper and chicken with dressing. Add Mandarin oranges and almonds; gently stir to distribute. Serve immediately.