- 1 cooked chicken carcass or 2-1/2 pounds bone-in chicken parts (necks, wings, legs)
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped (1/3 cup)
- 2 carrots, coarsely chopped (1 cup)
- 1 celery, coarsely chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 garlic, minced (1 teaspoon)
- 6 cups water
- Salt to taste
1. In a 4-quart slow cooker, add all ingredients except salt. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 8 hours or on high-heat setting for 4 hours.
2. Remove large pieces with a slotted spoon and discard. Strain stock through a fine mesh sieve lined with a paper towel. Season to taste with salt. Transfer stock to storage containers and chill thoroughly in refrigerator overnight. Remove solidified fat layer from top. Can be refrigerated for about a week or frozen for 6 months. Makes 4 to 5 cups.
TipFor Easy Cleanup:
- Line your slow cooker with a disposable slow cooker liner. Add ingredients as directed in recipe. Once your dish is finished cooking, spoon the food out of your slow cooker and simply dispose of the liner. Do not lift or transport the disposable liner with food inside.