Wheely Delicious Cake
A crispy marshmallow and cereal treat makes the Ferris wheel for this fun dessert. Candy makes it colorful.
- 1 16 ounce box cake mix
- 1 cup white-chocolate chips, divided
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 10 ounce bag marshmallows
- Orange paste food coloring
- Red paste food coloring
- 7 cups rice cereal
- 1 12 1/4 - 12 1/2 ounce package Twizzler Rainbow Twists
- 2 7 ounce boxes Runts
- 1 16 ounce can vanilla frosting
- 2 large red gumdrops
- 1 bag mini lollipops
- Blue paper cupcake liners
- 4 wooden skewers
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 1-1/2-quart ovenproof Pyrex bowl. Prepare cake mix according to package directions. Pour batter into prepared bowl and smooth top. Bake 40 to 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Let cool 15 minutes in bowl, then invert onto a wire rack and allow to cool completely. In a small microwave-safe bowl, melt 1/2 cup white-chocolate chips until smooth.
2. Line the bottom of a 9-inch round cake pan with wax paper. Grease sides well and set aside. Combine butter and marshmallows in a large microwave-safe bowl. Microwave until melted, 1 to 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Tint mixture bright orange with food coloring. Stir in rice cereal and melted white chocolate until well blended. Spoon mixture into prepared pan and press it down evenly. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or until firm.
3. Remove cereal treat from cake pan. Cut Twizzlers into twelve 4-1/2-inch pieces. Microwave remaining white-chocolate chips until smooth, about 1 minute; spoon melted chocolate into a small resealable bag. Snip a small piece from corner of bag and pipe lines of chocolate to attach Twizzler pieces as shown. Then pipe white-chocolate dots near the edge and attach Runts in a decorative pattern. Refrigerate until candies are set, about 5 minutes. Carefully flip cereal treat and repeat on other side (reheat chocolate if necessary). Attach a gumdrop to the center of each side of cereal treat with chocolate.
4. Tint vanilla frosting red with food coloring. Place cake, rounded side up, on a serving platter. Cut a 2-inch-wide by 3-inch-long by 1-inch-deep notch from top of cake to rest wheel in. Ice cake with red frosting and arrange orange and green Runts around base.
5. Insert about 5 lollipops through each cupcake liner, using the sticks to attach liners to cereal treat.
6. Insert skewers about a half-inch apart into bottom edge of cereal treat, leaving 3 inches showing. Stand wheel and insert skewers into notch of frosted cake; press to secure.