- 4 chicken legs (about 4 1/2 lb.) skinned and cut into thighs and drumsticks
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups finely chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons no-salt-added tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh garlic
- 1 14 1/2 ounce can no-salt-added whole peeled tomatoes, cut up
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 cup pitted kalamata or black olives, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano
Make It Make it:
1. Season chicken evenly on both sides with salt and pepper.
2. Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large Dutch oven or deep skillet over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot but not smoking, add half of the chicken and cook until golden brown on both sides, about 10 minutes. Remove to a plate. Repeat with remaining 1 tablespoon oil and chicken.
3. Add onion, tomato paste, and garlic to the pot; cook and stir until the onion is softened, about 2 minutes. Add the orange juice, undrained tomatoes, balsamic vinegar, and olives. Bring to boiling, scraping bottom of pan to loosen any browned bits.
4. Return the chicken and any juices to the pot. Cover and simmer over medium-low heat about 30 minutes or until done (180 degrees F.). Sprinkle with oregano. If you like, serve over pasta or rice.
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe: 6; Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 356, Fat, total (g): 15, chol. (mg): 155, sat. fat (g): 3, carb. (g): 14, Monounsaturated fat (g): 8, Polyunsaturated fat (g): 3, fiber (g): 2, sugar (g): 8, pro. (g): 41, vit. A (IU): 340, vit. C (mg): 31, Thiamin (mg): , Riboflavin (mg): , Niacin (mg): 10, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg): 1, Folate (µg): 36, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg): , sodium (mg): 300, Potassium (mg): 690, calcium (mg): 71, iron (mg): 3, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.