Makes: 10 servings at $2.06 each. Prep: 10 minutes. Slow Cook: on high heat for 6 hours. Cook: about 4 minutes.
1. In 5- to 5 1/2-quart slow cooker, layer onion, carrots, celery and garlic. Rub the roast all over with the 1 teaspoon olive oil; season the roast with the salt and pepper. Scatter the mushrooms over the vegetables in the slow cooker, and place the chuck roast on top. Tuck thyme sprigs and bay leaf into mixture.
2. In medium-size bowl, whisk together beef broth, wine and tomato paste; pour over meat.
3. Cover slow cooker; cook on high heat for 6 hours.
4. Remove chuck roast from slow cooker; keep warm.
5. Pour the liquid with the vegetable mixture from the slow cooker into a medium-size saucepan; remove and discard the bay leaf and thyme sprigs. Bring to a boil.
6. In a small cup, stir together the 2 tablespoons olive oil and flour until well blended and smooth. Stir the flour mixture into the liquid in the saucepan. Boil, stirring, until liquid is slightly thickened, about 1 minute.
7. Meanwhile, cook noodles in large pot of lightly salted boiling water following package directions. Drain the noodles well.
8. Slice pot roast. Serve with gravy and cooked noodles.