Wheat germ adds a nutritional element to these grilled burgers seasoned with Worcestershire sauce, thyme, and marjoram. Prepare this recipe in less than 30 minutes.
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 3/4 cup wheat germ
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 2 tablespoons minced onion
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram or oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 8 hamburger buns
- American cheese, lettuce and sliced tomato (optional)
1. In a large bowl, combine ground beef, wheat germ, eggs, half-and-half, onion, Worcestershire sauce, salt, marjoram and thyme. Shape into 8 patties.
2. Broil or grill for 4 to 5 minutes per side or until internal temperature registers 150 degrees on an instant-read thermometer. Place a slice of cheese on top during the last 2 minutes of cooking, if desired. Let stand, covered, for 5 minutes (temperature should reach 160 degrees ).
3. Place burgers on buns and top with lettuce and tomato, if desired.