Beef with Mushrooms and Red Wine
This main-dish recipe is fork-tender after slow cooking all day. Red wine broth gently flavors the chuck steak, green beans, and mushrooms.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound chuck steak (1 inch thick), trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 package (10 ounces) cremini mushrooms, cleaned and quartered
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 package (1 pound) frozen pearl onions
- 1 1/2 cups low-sodium beef broth
- 3/4 cup dry red wine
- 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 8 ounces green beans, trimmed
- 6 ounces cholesterol-free egg noodles, cooked (optional)
1. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add steak to skillet and cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until browned. Remove with a slotted spoon to slow cooker bowl.
2. Add mushrooms and garlic to skillet and sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes. Stir in tomato paste and cook, stirring, 2 minutes. Add flour and cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute.
3. Scrape contents of skillet into slow cooker bowl with beef. Stir in onions, broth, red wine and 1/2 teaspoon of the thyme. Cover and cook on HIGH for 5 hours or LOW for 7 hours.
4. Remove lid and stir in remaining 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper, 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme and green beans. Cover and cook an additional 30 minutes. Serve on top of egg noodles, if desired.
Servings Per Recipe: 4; Amount Per Serving: cal.(kcal): 383, Fat, total(g): 16, chol.(mg): 75, sat. fat(g): 5, carb.(g): 23, fiber(g): 4, pro.(g): 28, sodium(mg): 420, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.