Asian Beef Stew
Makes: 8 servings at $1.60 each.Prep: 10 minutes. Slow Cook: on high heat for 5 1/2 hours.
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 2 pounds round steak, sliced for stir-fry
- 2 ribs celery, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 cup peeled baby carrots
- 1 cup orange juice
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Chinese five spice powder
- 1 teaspoon Asian chili paste
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 10 ounce package frozen peas, thawed
- 6 cups cooked white rice
1. In 5- to 5 1/2-quart slow cooker, layer onion, beef, celery and carrots.
2. In bowl, whisk orange juice, 1 cup broth, soy, hoisin, spice powder and chili paste. Pour in cooker.
3. Cover slow cooker; cook on high heat for 5 hours.
4. In cup, mix 2 tablespoons broth and cornstarch. Stir into slow cooker; cover and cook another 30 minutes.
5. Stir in thawed peas; heat through, about 5 minutes. Serve over rice.