Stir Fried Tofu in Garlic Sauce
- 14 ounces tofu, extra-firm
- 1 bunch scallions trimmed of green
- 2 tablespoons peanut or neutral oil, like grapeseed or corn
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 - 3 small hot dried red chiles
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce, plus more to taste
- Juice of 1/2 lime (1-1/2 Tbs.)
- 1/2 cup loosely packed chopped basil
1. Cut tofu into 1-inch cubes; chop the scallions into 2-inch lengths.
2. Heat a large, heavy skillet over high heat until it begins to smoke. Immediately add the oil, garlic and red chiles, cooking and stirring for about 1 minute.
3. Add the tofu stirring occasionally until it browns, about 3 minutes. Then add scallions. Stir frequently, until they begin to soften about 1 minute. Add the soy sauce and lime juice. Stir, turn off the heat, and taste, adding more soy sauce to taste. If the mixture is drier than you like, add a bit of water and heat through. Garnish with the basil and serve immediately.