Red Bean Vegetable Jambalaya
Bean and vegetables make a sauce to top the couscous in this high fiber dinner recipe.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 4 large carrots, peeled and sliced into 1/2-inch coins
- 1/2 cauliflower, cut into florets, about 6 cups
- 1 large green pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 2 14 1/2 ounce cans no-salt-added diced tomatoes (such as Muir Glen)
- 1 tablespoon salt-free Cajun/Creole seasoning (such as the Spice Hunter)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 15 ounce can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 7.6 ounce package whole-grain couscous
1. Heat oil in a stockpot over medium heat. Add the onion and carrots and cook 6 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add cauliflower and pepper and cook an additional 6 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2. Stir in the garlic, tomatoes, Cajun seasoning and salt. Simmer with lid ajar for 25 minutes. Stir occasionally.
3. Add beans and simmer 3 minutes, until beans are heated through and vegetables are fork-tender.
4. While jambalaya is cooking, prepare couscous following package directions.
5. Serve jambalaya over couscous. Makes 6 servings.