Sausage & Potatoes
Makes: 6 servings. Prep: 15 minutes. slow cook: on high heat for 4 hours or on low for 8 hours.
- 1 can (28 ounces) whole tomatoes in juice
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 1/4 pounds sweet or hot Italian turkey sausage
- 2 medium-size all-purpose potatoes, scrubbed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large zucchini, halved lengthwise and cut into 1-inch half moons
- 1 medium-size onion, cut into wedges
- 2 tablespoons plain bread crumbs
- 3/4 cup shredded pepper-Jack cheese
1. Add tomatoes and their juice to a 5- or 6-quart slow cooker. Break apart tomatoes with a spoon. Stir in Italian seasoning, garlic salt and pepper flakes.
2. Tuck sausages down into sauce. Add potatoes, zucchini and onion. Cover. Cook on high heat for 4 hours or on low heat for 8 hours.
3. Uncover pot and remove sausages. Slice into 1-inch-thick coins, and return to mixture, stirring gently, along with the bread crumbs. Serve in bowls; sprinkle each with shredded cheese.