- 1 15 ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 small onion, roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- 3 tablespoons flat-leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Salad vegetables (romaine, cucumber, grape tomatoes)
- Hummus (or tzatziki or tahini)
1. Preheat oven to 450F. Grease or line two baking sheets; set aside.
2. Combine the chickpeas, onion, garlic, parsley, spices, flour, baking powder, half of the lemon juice, 1 tablespoon olive oil, and salt and pepper to taste in a food processor. Pulse until well combined but still coarse.
3. Using your hands or a small cookie scoop, shape the mixture into about 24 balls (roughly 1 1/2 inches in diameter) and arrange on prepared baking sheets. Flatten each slightly, and brush the tops with 1 tablespoon of the remaining olive oil.
4. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, then turn patties and rotate trays and bake for another 10 to 12 minutes.
5. Toss the salad vegetables with the remaining lemon juice and olive oil and salt and pepper to taste. Serve with hummus or other condiments, as sandwiches or as a platter.