Autumn Pork and Pumpkin
- 4 slices turkey bacon, chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 pounds boneless pork shoulder, trimmed of fat and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 large onion, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (1/2 cup)
- 2 pounds sugar pie pumpkin or butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg or allspice
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup apple cider or apple juice
- 2 golden delicious apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- Mashed potatoes (optional)
- 2 tablespoons hulled pumpkin seeds (pepitas) (optional)
1. in a large skillet, fry bacon in oil over medium-high heat for 4 to 6 minutes or until brown and crisp. Remove bacon and place in a 4- or 5-quart slow cooker.
2. Season pork pieces with salt and pepper and brown in skillet for about 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer pork to slow cooker. In same skillet, add onion, squash, poultry seasoning and nutmeg; heat through about 3 minutes.
3. Transfer to slow cooker. Add vinegar and apple cider and stir to combine. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 8 hours or high-heat setting for 4 hours, adding the apples during the last hour of cooking.
4. Take pork out and shred meat into large chunks. Mix pork back into slow cooker. Serve over mashed potatoes sprinkled with pumpkin seeds, if desired. Makes 4 to 6 servings.
TipFor Easy Cleanup:
- Line your slow cooker with a disposable slow cooker liner. Add ingredients as directed in recipe. Once your dish is finished cooking, remove food from your slow cooker and simply dispose of the liner. Do not lift or transport the disposable liner with food inside.