The Hungry Caterpillar
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon finely shredded orange peel
- 12 - 15 graham cracker squares or 2 slices purchased pound cake
- 1/4 cup diced red apple
- 1/4 cup diced green pear or peeled kiwi
- 1/4 cup diced plums
- 1/4 cup diced strawberries or peaches
- 1/2 cup toasted rolled oats, granola or grated coconut
- 1/2 cup mandarin orange sections, drained (optional)
1. In a medium bowl, combine the yogurt, syrup, and orange peel; mix well. Cover and chill for at least 4 hours.
2. Put graham crackers, if using, in a plastic bag; roll with rolling pin until they become small crumbs (you should have about 1 cup crumbs). Or, crumble the pound cake.To assemble trifles:
3. Spoon 1/4 cup of graham cracker crumbs at the bottom of each 8-ounce glass*. Add 1 tablespoon yogurt mixture to each, then add red apple and green pear; add another 1 tablespoon yogurt, plums, and strawberries. Add remaining yogurt. Top each with 2 tablespoons of toasted rolled oats and finish with a few orange sections.
- You can make the trifles ahead and chill them for 1 to 2 hours before serving.
- Tip Be sure to use a clear glass that is tall enough to hold all ingredients and wide enough for children to be able to easily get their spoon in and out.