Roasted Tomato Salsa
- 3 large tomatoes (about 2 pounds), cut in half and seeded
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 jalapeno chiles, seeded and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons hot red-pepper sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
1. Heat broiler. Place tomatoes, cut side down, on broiler-pan rack. Broil 3 inches from heat until blackened, about 3 minutes (see Roasted Tomato Salsa, www.familycircle.com).
2. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, jalapeno and garlic; saute 4 minutes. Add chili powder; saute 3 minutes.
3. Transfer onion mixture and tomatoes to food processor or blender; puree. Pour into bowl. Add 2 tablespoons oil, vinegar, red-pepper sauce and salt. For best flavor, refrigerate, covered, a few hours or overnight.