Tiny magnets inside the plastic building pieces and rods can fall out and could be swallowed by young children. If a child swallows more than one tiny powerful magnet detached from the plastic building pieces or one such magnet and a metallic object, the objects can attract to each other inside the intestines and cause perforations and/or blockage, which can be fatal if not treated immediately.
The recall includes about 4 million magnetic building sets, including all Magnetix building sets sold from September 2003 through March 2006. The sets contain up to 250 plastic building pieces and 1/2-inch diameter steel balls. The building pieces include 1-1/2-inch squares, 1-inch triangles, cylinder rods, flexors, connectors, x-tenders, and curves and come in an assortment of colors such as metallic, primary, translucent, and glow in the dark.
Not included in the recall are newer Magnetix sets sold since March 31, 2006, that are age-labeled 6+ and sets that contain the following caution label: "CAUTION: Do not ingest or inhale magnets.
Attraction of magnets in the body may cause serious injury and require immediate medical care."
Mass merchants and other toy and arts and crafts stores sold the sets nationwide for between $20 and $60, depending on the size of the set.
What To Do:
Immediately stop using the recalled magnetic sets and contact Mega Brands for a replacement toy. For more information, contact Mega Brands at (800) 779-7122 between 8 a.m. and 6 p.m. ET Monday through Friday, or visit their Web site at www.megabrands.com.
Our product recalls database includes information and content from the Consumer Product Safety Commission, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, and other sources. Our database is not comprehensive. For more complete information concerning recalls, visit www.cpsc.gov or, for car seats, www.safercar.gov.