If two or more magnets are swallowed, they can link together inside a child's intestines and clamp onto body tissues, causing intestinal obstructions, perforations, sepsis and death. Internal injury from magnets can pose serious lifelong health effects. The firm has received no reports of incidents or injury. CPSC has received 80 reports of incidents involving ingestion of other high powered magnets, resulting in 79 reports seeking medical intervention.
About 4,200 units were recalled. The products were sold for use as an adult novelty item or desk toy. It had appropriate hazard warnings and stated the intended age level as 14 years and older. Nanospheres is a mass of 231 small powerful magnets that are either silver, gold or black in color. Each magnet is about 5mm in diameter. The magnets come in a circular metal canister approximately 2.5 inches in diameter and 1.5 inches tall with a black and blue label displaying the product name "Nanospheres."
Amazon.com from November 2010 through December 2011 for about $25 to $30.
What To Do:
Immediately stop using the product and contact the company to arrange for return and a full refund.
Our product recalls database includes information and content from the Consumer Product Safety Commission, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, and other sources. Our database is not comprehensive. For more complete information concerning recalls, visit www.cpsc.gov or, for car seats, www.safercar.gov.
2 FULL YEARS of Parents® Magazine plus a FREE GIFT! Order NOW to take advantage of this great offer! Get 2 full years (24 issues) for just $7.99! Plus you get our new Ultimate Birthday Party Planner ABSOLUTELY FREE! HURRY this offer won't last!(U.S. orders only)