- November 10, 2010
- Hanover Direct Inc. (also known as Domestications, The Company Store, and Company Kids)
- The Danger:
Roman Shades: Strangulations can occur when a child places his or her neck between the exposed inner cord and the fabric on the backside of the blind or when a child pulls the cord out and wraps it around his or her neck.
- Roll-up Blinds: Strangulations can occur if the lifting loops slide off the side of the blind and a child's neck becomes entangled on the free-standing loop or if a child places his or her neck between the lifting loop and the roll-up blind material.
- Roller Blinds: Strangulations can occur if the blind's continuous loop bead chain or continuous loop pull cord is not attached to the wall or the floor with the tension device provided and a child's neck becomes entangled in the free-standing loop.
- This recall involves about 495,000 Roman shades and 28,500 roller/roll-up blinds. (About 90,000 Roman shades were recalled in October 2009.) This recall involves all styles of Roman shades with inner cords, all styles of roll-up blinds, and all roller blinds that do not have a tension device. A tension device is intended to be attached to the continuous loop bead chain or continuous loop pull cord and installed into the wall or the floor.
- Sold At:
- Hanover Direct/Domestications, the Company Store/Company Kids; online at domestications.com and thecompanystore.com; and through catalog sales nationwide from January 1996 through October 2009, for between $20 and $579
- What To Do:
- Immediately stop using all Roman shades with inner cords, all roll-up blinds, and all roller blinds that do not have a tension device, and contact the Window Covering Safety Council toll-free at 800-506-4636 anytime for free repair kits, or visit windowcoverings.org. Those who have roller blinds with a tension device should make sure that the tension device is attached to the continuous loop bead chain or continuous loop pull cord and is installed into the wall or floor. For more information, contact Domestications or Hanover toll-free at 800-453-1106 between 9 a.m. and 6 p.m. ET seven days a week, or visit domestications.com or hanoverdirect.com
- For More Information:
The Biggest Product Recalls
Product Safety Advice
Our product recalls database includes information and content from the Consumer Product Safety Commission, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, and other sources. Our database is not comprehensive. For more complete information concerning recalls, visit www.cpsc.gov or, for car seats, www.safercar.gov.