Eating for Two: Healthy Pregnancy Nutrition Tips
9 Eating Dos and Don'ts
- Try new fruits and veggies each week to maximize your intake of vitamins (brightly colored types pack the most nutrition).
- Skip empty-calorie snacks in favor of nutrient-packed mini-meals.
- Give in to cravings now and again, as long as you aim for healthy fare the rest of the day.
- Take prenatal vitamins, preferably at night when iron is best absorbed.
- Follow sound food-safety practices: Wash produce well, cook meats thoroughly, and throw away any questionable leftovers.
- Follow fad diets to slow or limit weight gain.
- Give yourself permission to constantly overeat.
- Consume alcohol.
- Take any extra supplements or vitamins without consulting your doctor.
- Eat excessively salty foods; they can cause water retention and block calcium absorption.