Your Workplace Rights

What If You Think Your Rights are Being Violated?

1. Make a record.

Write down a description of the situation, including the date, time and place of any specific incidents or conversations. Include what was said and who was there. Try to record your recollections as soon after the incident as you can.

2. Ask around.

As discreetly as possible, talk to coworkers about how they've been treated during or after a recent pregnancy. See if they have any suggestions for workable solutions to your problem.

3. Talk it out.

Discuss the situation with your employer. Your company might have an equal employment officer or an established procedure for dealing with complaints like yours. Check your employee handbook for procedures.

4. Find out more.

If you think you may want to file a formal discrimination complaint against your employer, contact the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission's nearest office (to find out where it is, call the EEOC at 1-800-669-4000). You should also look in the government pages of the phone book to find local employment practices offices that may be able to offer help and advice.

Find a Baby Name

Browse by

or Enter a name

Parents Are Talking

Add a Comment