Veggies Make Me Green
1. I can't stand vegetables!
They're full of vitamins, antioxidants, and fiber, but many pregnant women can barely choke them down. For one thing, pregnancy heightens our sense of smell, so we taste bitter flavors more. Many women report that the vegetables they once loved, like mushrooms and broccoli, just stink. (The culprit is sulphur.) The trick is to add veggies to foods without smelling them. Some ideas:
- Stir pureed carrot or butternut squash into tomato-based pasta sauces (to avoid cooking smells, use baby food, if you like).
- Stir applesauce, pureed pumpkin, bananas, or prunes into a low-fat brownie batter or muffin mix instead of oil. You'll be adding fiber and vitamins, and you'll never know the difference.
- Disguise sugar snap peas, carrots, and spaghetti squash with tomato sauce and Parmesan.
- Try dousing almost any vegetable with lemon juice. Many women crave citrus and find that even the scent can stave off nausea.