8 Ways to Sneak in Calcium
Like most kids, you were likely taught to drink your milk. Stronger bones, better teeth -- your parents probably gave you plenty of reasons to drink up. But now that you're a parent yourself, it may have been a while since you drank the white stuff beyond maybe dumping some in your coffee. Here's what you need to know.
Try these creative tips from the American Dietetic Association:
- Cook rice, noodles, hot cereals, and other grains in nonfat milk.
- Add nonfat dry milk powder to recipes for creamy soups, stews, casseroles, and sauces.
- Substitute nonfat yogurt for sour cream or butter.
- Sprinkle low-fat grated cheese on salads, soups, or veggies.
- Drink at least one glass of milk with every snack or meal. Get in the habit of ordering low-fat milk instead of soda when you eat out.
- Instead of your regular cup of joe in the morning, try a latte, which is made with more milk.
- Nosh on string cheese or fill a bag with low-fat cheese cubes for a snack on the go.
- Searching for something sweet? Try a glass of chocolate milk instead of candy.