Pros and Cons of Each
As someone who has had both a c-section and a VBAC, I can tell you that there are certain advantages to each.
The good things about a c-section:
- You are not lying when you tell your child that she came out of your tummy. It's a bit more G-rated than telling your VBAC kid that she came out of your vagina.
- No staples in your crotch, no tearing, no stretching.
- Beautiful babies. You may look horrible, but your baby looks divine. For beauty pageants, nothing's better than a c-section babe.
- Scars. Yes, now they're lower and you can wear a bikini, but how many women does that help?
- Lengthy recovery.
The good things about a vaginal birth:
- No scars.
- Easier recovery.
- Your baby comes out looking like a conehead from Saturday Night Live.
- Episiotomies. (Tip -- and write this down: Get Dermoplast from your pharmacy. It will save your life!)
Amy Einhorn is the author of the book The Fourth Trimester, about the first few months of being a new mother.
Copyright © 2002 AmericanBaby.com.
All content here, including advice from doctors and other health professionals, should be considered as opinion only. Always seek the direct advice of your own doctor in connection with any questions or issues you may have regarding your own health or the health of others.