Which Birth Professional Is Right for You?

The Obstetrician/Gynecologist (Ob-Gyn)

Ob-gyns are physicians who specialize in the care of women during pregnancy as well as diseases that affect the female reproductive organs. In addition to a four-year residency that includes experience in obstetrics, infertility, and surgery, they may complete additional training in an area such as infertility or high-risk pregnancy.

Ob-gyns generally deliver in hospitals or birthing centers, and are the most widely used pregnancy professionals in the United States today. Look for the FACOG credential next to your ob-gyn's name -- it means that she or he is a Fellow of the American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology. For more information, or to find an ob-gyn in your area, visit the Web site of the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists at www.acog.org.

Find a Baby Name

Browse by

or Enter a name

Parents Are Talking

Add a Comment