What You'll Need
Quart-size milk carton, paint, paintbrush, craft knife, wood skewer, cork, yarn, duct tape, 2 plastic bottle caps, paint, glue, craft knife
1. Cut an oval-shaped hole on one side of the milk carton. Paint the carton and let it dry.
2. Poke a wood skewer through the carton, just above the hole. Then poke the skewer into a cork and glue it to the inside bottom of the carton.
3. For the sail, cut six 12" pieces of duct tape and tape the pieces together, overlapping about ? ", lengthwise. They should look like a sheet of tape.
4. Fold the tape in half so the sticky sides adhere to one another. Cut the resulting sheet into a triangle shape and punch a small hole at the top and bottom to slip the sail onto the skewer.
5. Decorate the outside of the boat by gluing plastic caps to side of boat.
6. Tie a length of yarn to the top of the skewer, coil it, and let it rest on the boat's "deck" to create rigging.
Originally published in the October 2013 issue of Parents magazine.