Photograph by Alexandra Grablewski
- Wool felt (available online; we like the selection at magiccabin.com)
- Templates (optional, see below)
- Twill tape (available at fabric stores)
- Split key rings
- Straight pins
- Embroidery thread and needle
1. Stack two small pieces of felt, then use the chalk to draw a simple shape or trace a template. Cut along the lines, through both layers.
2. Fold a 2-inch length of twill tape around the key ring. Insert the ends between the felt layers and pin them.
3. With the threaded needle, sew a running stitch (see the illustration) around the shape, making sure that the stitches go through both layers and secure the twill tape. Add faces and decorative stitches as desired. Knot the thread and trim any excess.
Originally published in the August 2013 issue of FamilyFun